When you are missing all your upper or lower teeth, there are several treatment options available to help you regain proper oral health and function. When you visit Ocean Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dr. David McAninch and Dr. Robert Kiken will carefully examine your entire mouth to determine the best treatment for your needs. Please call us today to learn more about our options for replacing missing teeth, and to schedule a consultation with our caring oral surgeons in Lompoc and Santa Barbara, California.
Missing Lower Teeth
There are several implant-supported replacement options available for individuals missing their lower teeth. These include:
- Ball attachment denture – two implants are placed in your lower jaw, and a denture is made that snaps onto these implants.
- Bar attachment denture (overdenture) – this treatment involves placing 4-6 implants, depending on jaw size and shape. These implants are then connected with a customized support bar. Dentures with special retention clips are attached to this bar to keep the dentures in place.
- Screw retained denture – 5 or more implants are placed in your jaw, and a permanent denture is attached. The denture is held in place by screws or clasps that secure it to support posts or a bar. It does not touch your gum tissue, so you can clean the denture without removing it.
- Individual implants – you can replace each individual tooth with a dental implant. This option produces results that closely resemble the appearance of your natural teeth.
Missing Upper Teeth
The treatments for missing your upper teeth are similar to those for missing lower teeth. However, the supporting bone tissue is not as hard as that in the lower jaw, and you may need more implants than for missing lower teeth.
Some of our treatment options include:
- Implant retained upper denture – your denture will be placed atop implants. Depending on the number of implants placed, you may not need to cover the roof of your mouth, which will allow you to fully taste food. The denture will be firmly held in place, but will also be removable.
- Individual upper implants – single-tooth implants give you a restoration that is similar to your natural teeth and not removable. You will likely need 8-10 individual implants if you choose this treatment.
For more information about our treatment options for replacing your missing upper and lower teeth, please contact Ocean Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery today.