When you receive anesthesia as part of your surgical procedure, there are a few guidelines that you should observe.
- Pick up any prescription for antibiotics or other medications prior to your surgery. You should begin taking antibiotics 1 day before your procedure.
- Have mild pain relief (Advil, Ibuprofen, Aleve, etc.) available at home following your treatment.
- Have electrolyte drinks available at home for after your procedure (Gatorade, Coconut Water, etc.)
- As you will be maintaining a soft diet, please have appropriate foods at home (pudding, smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal, soup, apple sauce, etc.)
- Wear a short-sleeved shirt to your appointment.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- Have a friend or family member with you to drive you home, receive any instructions, and care for you for the entire day after your procedure.
- Notify our office if you have a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, or other illness.
- If you take oral medication regularly, please check with our oral surgeons prior to your procedure for any instructions regarding them.
- Eat or drink anything (including water) for 6-8 hours prior to surgery if you are receiving anesthesia.
- Wear perfume or cologne to your appointment.
- Wear open-toed shoes or long-sleeve shirts to your appointment.
- Wear nail polish, gel, or acrylic nails to your appointment.
- Bring valuables with you. Leave watches, earbuds, jewelry, phones, iPods, etc. at home.
If you have questions, please contact our office. Dr. David McAninch, Dr. Robert Kiken, and our team will be happy to address any questions or concerns you have.
For more information about oral surgery in Lompoc and Santa Barbara, California, and to schedule your consultation, please call Ocean Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery today.